Vembu BDR Suite – a brief overview
Vembu BDR Suite
A Brief Overview
As a gesture to new sponsorships (advertisement on my blog) I write an article about the solution they offer, not paid but a courtesy to them to thank them for the sponsorship. In many case interesting as it takes me into products not always known to me that well. Vembu came around and backup/recovery is not my expertise. I asked them to write a little introduction about their product. Backup and recovery is important but I’m not the one that should tell why they make such a great product. So the stage is for Vembu, read learn and contact them if you think they can help you.
Vembu BDR Suite is an all encompassing product that allows you to cover the entire gamut of use cases in today’s enterprise environments including virtual environments, physical environments, application & file backups, backup to cloud, and cloud applications backup (Office 365, etc.). The Suite of Vembu solutions adapts to any type of environment, be it a simple IT setup or sophisticated data centers. Vembu is compatible with VMware and Hyper-V for virtualized environments providing agentless, to backup physical servers and clients there is an agent called Vembu ImageBackup Client Installer and to backup files and applications such as MS Exchange, MS SQL, MS SharePoint, MS Outlook etc, an agent with the name of Vembu NetworkBackup Client Installer is available.
A introduction video is found right here.
Features of Vembu BDR
- Agentless VMware VM Backups: Backup all or certain virtual machines running on VMware ESXi servers and vCenter servers without installing any agent inside the VMs.
- Agentless Hyper-V VM Backups: Backup all or certain virtual machines running in Microsoft Hyper-V servers without installing any agents inside each VM. Vembu supports CSV and SMB hosts.
- Backup physical servers and workstations: Disk image backup for Windows servers and workstations deployed in physical environments. It also supports backing up of Linux and Mac physical servers and workstations using the separate agents.
- Full image backup: Backup the entire physical or virtual machine to protect everything related to business continuity such as operating system, applications and data.
- Application-aware backups: Vembu BDR suite uses application-specific VSS to take consistent snapshots of highly transactional applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL, SharePoint and Active Directory.
- Replication of virtual machines: Replicate the virtual machines from one hypervisor to another with the possibility of re-assigning new virtual network and IP. The different recovery options available are Quick VM Recovery: Recover the backed up physical or virtual machine instantly as steady state VM on the hypervisors like vSphere or Hyper-V or KVM thus allowing you to maintain business continuity with minimal downtime possible.
- Live Recovery to ESXi: Recover the backed up Virtual Machine directly on a host VMware ESXi or Microsoft Hyper-V
- File Level Recovery: Auto attach the backed up data on local machine and get instant access to backed up data ,where necessary files can be recovered without restoring the entire backup (mounted as a disk drive with data).
- Disk Level Recovery: Directly attach the backed up disk of the VMs to another Virtual Machine in same or different ESXi Host.
- Download: Backed up files can be download to various virtual disk formats such as VHD, VMDK, VHDX, Flat-VMDK and RAW as per the requirement.
Vembu supports different types of storage targets for the backup jobs: Local , SAN , NAS & DAS. The backup repository can be added at any time without affecting the existing backup or its performance.
Vembu uses a technology called VembuHIVE to improve storage performance and scalability, by inbuilt it incorporates compression,deduplication, version control, encryption, and error correction. During backup, data is compressed to reduce storage needs and encrypted using the AES 256 algorithm .
Vembu incorporates notifications via e-mail and notifications in the web management console. Vembu allows cross-platform migration: physical machines can be easily migrated to a virtual environment and vice versa. Similarly the VMs of one platform can also be migrated to another. For granular retrieval of application objects, Vembu has a universal explorer for MS-Exchange, MS-Active Directory, MS-SQL Server and MS-Sharepoint to granularly extract the application items without restoring the entire backup.
Vembu BDR Suite Free edition
Vembu BDR Suite consists of a number of key products and is available in both free and paid versions. Vembu free edition offers agentless VMware and Hyper-V backup and restore for virtual environments, and disk image backups for physical Windows machines. The free edition Vembu BDR Suite is sufficient for protecting servers in test or production environments for small to medium businesses.
The free version includes a 30 day trial of advanced features such as
- replication, near Continuous Data Protection (CDP) providing RTO & RPO of under 15 minutes,
- Changed Block Tracking (CBT), and offsite backup features;
- offsite DR replication,
- cloud DR replication,
- WAN acceleration,
- distributed Vembu agents,
- bandwidth throttling, and more.
After the 30 day trial, you can continue to backup unlimited machines forever using the free edition. For a full list see the feature comparison page.
Both the free and licensed versions of Vembu BDR Suite can be used to backup unlimited virtual machines forever. When planning an installation consider the following:
- Vembu BDR Server runs only on 64 bit operating systems: Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows 10 is also supported but it is advisable to use only for evaluation purposes.
- The Vembu BDR Backup Server should have a minimum of 8 GB RAM (16 GB recommended) and 4 vCPU (8 vCPU recommended). The NIC(s) should be 1 Gbps or above.
- Storage repository for backups can be either a local drive, or any SAN / NAS device connected using CIFS (SMB) or NFS share. When calculating storage also consider adding 10% for storage of metadata.
- The backup port used is 32004.
- There are no external database requirements since an embedded PostgreSQL database is used.
- To save money on Windows licensing you can also deploy the Vembu BDR backup server as a VMware/Hyper-V virtual appliance, this can be obtained from [email protected].
- Vembu 3.7.0 U1 is compatible with versions 4.x of vSphere, right the way through to 6.5 and Hyper-V versions 2008 R2 through to 2016.
- The Vembu management interface can be accessed using IE v11 and above, Firefox v28 and above, or Chrome v34 and above. Ports 6060 and 6061 should be open.